Acupuncture is fast becoming a very popular treatment among couples with fertility concerns. It might have been around for thousands of years already but acupuncture is relatively new among Westerners. Recently, we have seen an explosion of interest among this part of the world to address their various health concerns via acupuncture. The most common of which is infertility. In turn, this has resulted to the increased interest of health care providers and researchers in giving information on the relationship of acupuncture and fertility.
How Can Acupuncture Affect Fertility?
On acupuncture for fertility among women, this treatment aims to regulate the following. In relation to IVF (in-vitro fertilization), modern research has found acupuncture to improve the success of fertility to up to 60% when acupuncture treatment is administered before and after the transfer of embryo.
• Regulation of menstrual cycle through hormonal imbalances correction.
• Enhancement of follicular development to improve the quality of eggs
• Thickening of the lining of the uterus to make it ready to assist in the implantation of the embryo once egg fertilization has occurred
• Regulation of the effects of stress in the body as this can affect ovulation and menstruation which is detrimental to conception
• Improvement of the general health as the inflammation that is brought about by most illnesses can contribute to infertility
Among men, acupuncture fertility can give them the following benefits:
• Enhancement of sperm quality by the improvement of sperm count, motility, and normality, along with the many other factors that contribute to poor quality sperm
• Improvement of general health to promote improved sperm quality
• Elimination of stress which can negatively affect sperm, and has been known to promote infertility among men.
Keep in mind that you participating in a fertility acupuncture, you also need to address your dietary and lifestyle choices to enhance the results that you have gained from acupuncture.
Should both partners go through acupuncture?
It is highly recommended that both the wife and the husband attend the first consultation. This will facilitate the discussion of any specific concerns that your acupuncturist might want to determine to aid in determining the most effective strategy and improve your chances of success.
Acupuncture has shown to improve sperm quality for 3 days so men have the treatment around the time of the ovulation of their partner. Remember, though, that it takes two to conceive a baby so the health of the parents is very important to achieve success.
How long before you can conceive?
The answer to this questions will be determined by variations that exist among every person. Age, health status, lifestyle and dietary choices all contribute to the duration of the treatment as well as the number of treatment cycles needed. Generally, though, a cycle of treatment consists of 12 acupuncture sessions.
Your acupuncturist should be able to provide you with 4 to 5 sessions to give time to your body to demonstrate how it responds to the treatment. You should then know the length of your treatments from them.